President’s Report –
- To view our Annual Report 2019 click here
- Family History Society of Rockingham and Districts Inc.Update.
- I have been keeping you advised about our library being affiliated as a FamilySearch library. This is finally happening and today I have sent a signed agreement to Salt Lake City to progress the issue. I am advised that it will take about 3 weeks to finalise, so I will keep you informed about that. It will be good to be able to access their original scanned documents.
One of their requirements is that we do not charge for using their software such as familysearch.org, so a reminder to you all that the fee of $0.50 per half hour we charge is to cover rental, power and software package subscriptions such as Ancestry and Find My Past.
- A reminder that the next Seniors Expo is being held at the Gary Holland center on Friday 11th We would like as many of you as possible to help on our kiosk. There is a list in the library. Thanks.
- A reminder also that our library is not just there to access websites for your research, but also that we have well stocked shelves with publications to help also. There is a catalogue for your perusal.
- One of our speakers has had to pull out of our November slot, so I am going to put something together about Convicts sent to Australia. I have decided to do this as there was a lot of interest shown after I sent out the screed on Tickets of Leave etc for WA. This will include all States of Australia, plus Norfolk Island that were affected by this part of our very young history.
- There has been another incident in Lotteries House where someone was caught entering the building, one of the offices and then attempting to steal a purse from a handbag close to the door. I would like reiterate that if for whatever reason you are alone in the library you do not have to stay and can close it for the day. This is at your discretion and if you have a mobile please call Verna or myself. The numbers are next to the desk on the list of Library Assistants. Best to be safe than sorry.
- And on a final note it would be appreciated that on our meeting days that more people put their hand up to help clear up afterwards. This includes, washing and drying dishes, clearing away the chairs and tables and retuning items to the library on the ground floor. It is not the sole responsibility of either the committee or the person who is on tea duty to do all this, so please help where you can.
- Our Christmas quiz is coming up in December so get your brains into gear and rustle up a table of 6.
2 Sep 2019